Sunday, December 23, 2012

Exiled Christmases: Coal to Newcastle

Thomas Nast's most famous drawing,
 "Merry Old Santa Claus," from Harper's Weekly,
 January 1, 1881.
 
 
It started, our lifetime of lonely exiled Christmases, with a fight. But it didn't really start then. It started in pre-history, or pre-my-history, in ancient bitternesses, deaths and sins unforgiven from before I was even born.
 
 
By the time the fight happened, my mother and grandmother were the sole survivors of a small, intense and insular family, and I was almost grown up. A father and husband had died, a brother and uncle had died, a powerful grandfather had died, a two-year-old son had died, making my mother an only child. Things were said, their partial estrangement began, and increased, and our many years of bad Christmases began.
 
 
At first it was got through pleasantly enough on the surface, but at great emotional cost to my mother. Then it became an annual awkwardness, the problem of somehow dealing with Christmas in a way that kept my mother and grandmother apart — or at least, bubble-wrapped, like two delicate presents sent together through the mail. [read more]
 
 
 
Image Sourced from
Bill Casselman's article on Thomas Nast: The Man Who Designed Santa Claus

No comments:

Post a Comment