Wednesday, April 17, 2013

With Warmth, life will Thrive


Eric Bana
Romulus, my Father
 

A light bulb sways in the black of night, and the Father attempts to teach his son about life. He is holding a handful of still and lifeless wasps. As the warmth of the light passes over them, they stir, and he brings the insects back to life in front of the amazed eyes of the Son. The lesson is simple: with warmth, life will thrive........
                                                I cross the rivers of Hades
                                           in sleep:
                                                       Cocytus, Phlegethon, Acheron, and Styx,
                                                                by-passing the blisses of Letho.
     
 
                 Pluto is waiting
    black-eyed and curious.
 

  Few people come down this far, he comments.
   He is dark and powerful, as I expected,
     but he looks wan of skin and somewhat strained.
 

  Why have you come? The plumbing is very bad here.
   It is. The cavern walls are streaming
     with tears and flashing with slime
    and the usual assortment
      of creeping red-eyed monsters are
   mewling about, obviously not housebroken.
 

     but I am no longer afraid. This is urgent.
    I come to learn of evil, I tell him.
 

   I might be called evil because I looked down here before.
  So, replies Pluto. Then you have come to the right place.
~ A. O. Howell
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment