Saturday, July 7, 2012

Honey, have you seen where I left my pills?


Richard Wright's self portrait outside Normandy,
France, circa 1959.


“At the age of twelve I had an attitude toward life that was to endure, that was to make me seek those areas of living that would keep it alive, that was to make me skeptical of everything while seeking everything, tolerant of all and yet critical. The spirit I had caught gave me insight into the suffering of others, made me gravitate toward those whose feelings were like my own, made me sit for hours while others told me of their lives, made me strangely tender and cruel, violent and peaceful. ”
―   Richard Wright [1908-1960]



 Richard Wright in his living room in Paris, circa 1949.
Photo: National Archives.


“Make up your mind, Snail! You are half inside your house, And halfway out!”  ~ RW



Laurence Fishburne's Morpheus of The Matrix




“Their constant outward-looking, their mania for radios, cars, and a thousand other trinkets made them dream and fix their eyes upon the trash of life, made it impossible for them to learn a language which could have taught them to speak of what was in their or others' hearts. The words of their souls were the syllables of popular songs.”  ` RW


No comments:

Post a Comment